Jul 9, 2012

How To [.....]

Carrie
How to Pull Off Being a Paisa in 10 easy steps:

Many times in Medellin, it’s hard to blend in. I’ve found that people stare at me like I’m an alien from Mars. Luckily, I’ve compiled this “easy-to-follow” list of tips on how to act like a Paisa!

1.) Learn to say Paisa: Paisa is a term that refers to natives of Medellin. For the first two weeks, I thought it was pronounced “pa-ees-uh”. Dead giveaway. It’s actually pronounced “pie-suh”. Which leads me to…

2.) Tone down the gringo vibe and practice some Colombian pronunciation à Last weekend we visited Cesar’s family’s finca (vacation home in Santa Elena). His family was welcoming and friendly, and our group had an amazing time. One of his uncles offered me a tomate de arbol (a sweet yet tart tomato fruit). They asked me how I liked it. I said “muy rica” (very delicious)! Everyone burst out laughing. Why? Apparently it sounded like I said “marica” (gay!). Awkward!

3.) Workout for at least two hours a day: Sebastian (my arch-nemesis at Forma gym) and Victor (the personal trainer) have been killing us - or at least the girls - with intense workouts. The other day, I “warmed up” with an hour long spinning class, “worked out” with some abs exercises, and “cooled down” with an hour-long tae-bo class. I’d like to say that we’re all going to come back looking slim and trim, but that’s not going to happen because…

4.) Eat potatoes, rice, fried things, sugary juice, and areaps: I have yet to have a meal in Colombia without one of these essential items. No complaints here - who honestly hates carbs anyways? Don’t like areaps? Drenching them in salt and butter kind of makes them taste like delicious popcorn… Just swallow quickly so you don’t have the after taste of soggy bread.

5.) Throw around some Colombian slang: Buenaaaaas (good morning, night, afternoon, whatever)! I know this post is bacano (awesome) and that I am just incredibly chevere (cool), but I’ve realized that dropping some Colombian slang here and there makes my parces (buddies/bros) happy. How do you feel about my tips so far? Bien, o no?! (good, or not really)

6.) Accept that you may get mono: If you do not share your food and drinks, you are rude. Period. Accept that you may get mono from sharing with strangers, and embrace your new connections and friendship with others.

7.) Do whatever the Colombians are doing: Whether it’s eating morcilla (blood sausage), spontaneously hiking through a creek, watching “Snow White and the Huntsman” dubbed in Spanish, or cheering for a team in EuroCup futbol (soccer) game, just do it.

8.) Get a spray tan, wear brown contacts, and dye your hair. If you’re a guy, get a mullet and rattail, which is totally IN this season. At one of my interviews in San Cristobal, a 6-year-old child kept asking me why I talked funny. I told him that I was from another country, and he didn’t believe until I spoke in English for him. He told me that my pale skin, green/blue eyes, and “blonde” (actually not so blonde) hair were ugly and strange. He said he liked his women dark - with dark skin, dark hair, and dark eyes. I guess 6 year olds know what they want. Everything else is just too “extranjera”.

9.) Close doors quietly and softly!!! No explanation necessary. Slamming doors calls a lot of attention to you.

10.) Be proud of Colombia. Although Colombia has had its issues, every family that I have spoken to so far is proud to be Colombian and proud of the progress that the country has made. Be proud of Colombia and be proud of being a “Paisa” - and maybe (just maybe) they’ll believe you.   
Alexa
How to feel at feel at home without being home

Traveling is a thrill. Food you’ve never heard of, architecture you’ve only seen photographs of, navigating through another language with hand signals and laughter over miscommunication. Thrills also come with fears. Some of the interviews that we have been having confront problems that we’ve never had to sympathize with, kidnapped daughters and houses burned down in the middle of the night. It is not only a language barrier but a difference in what we have been exposed to that can sometimes make us miss what we’re comfortable navigating.

Running is such a romantic conception. I love that scene in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants when Blake Lively goes running to relieve her stress. It seems like she never stops, her long blonde hair is rushing behind her, and the adrenaline rush gives her time to clear her head. In reality, it’s hard for those who aren’t half marathoners and nobody looks as beautiful as she does, but I’ve found running to be an incredible way of thinking about your experiences while traveling, sorting through them; remembering, laughing, relieving those awkward moments.

The movie lacks the following scene; lying in bed utterly exhausted, hair sticking to your neck instead of streaming through the wind, those exhaustive moments of rest before a cold shower. But that is the best part. We all joined a gym a week ago and the trainers there push you to make it count. It gives us time to unwind and focus on nothing more than pushing ourselves. And as cliché as it is, it has helped immensely. I can’t be the only one because as a group we’ve been going each day. The most underrated part though is afterwards; hot and too tired to take a shower quite so soon, it’s a meditation where I close my eyes and can let each thought come and go instead of scheduling out the rest of the day. And though meditation is not something I do at home, it does bring me back to feeling as relaxed as I feel there, and that is something I want to hold onto.   
Running in Parque General San Martín in Mendoza, Argentina
David
How to get to know your host family better

1). Decide on a course of action. I picked food, dinner to be specific, because everyone loves to eat.
2). Be sure to pick a dish that will confuse them. David, if fajitas are Mexican and you aren’t Mexican, why are you making us Mexican food?
3). Provide no detailed answers. Trailing off midsentence works wonders. Instead proceed to 4).
4). Ask food questions about them! What’s your favorite meal? How do you make _____? What’s your favorite non-Colombia cuisine?
5). Turn on the radio and listen to the Colombian National anthem 3 times.
6). March to the national anthem.
7). Continue chatting! When you encounter a language barrier be ready to laugh at yourself, we say crazy stuff without knowing it. Or maybe that’s just me.
8). Ask them to show you a dish you don’t know how to make. In my case, plantains.
9). Scorch the plantains. I accidently left the fire on too high without flipping them. If you aren’t forgetful like me feel free to intentionally sabotage the dish.
10). Apologize profusely then laugh with them about burning the plantains.
11). Add a Colombian twist to the dish. I forgot to buy tortillas but the arepas were a perfect substitute.
12). Sit down and eat!
13). Relish in the fact that everyone likes the food, including the extra flavor on the plantains.
14). Promise another meal!
Cesar
How to Unite Two Worlds

In high school I considered myself an active member in the Hispanic community; I held leadership roles in my school’s Spanish Club and Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica, I attended Hispanic (especiall Colombian) festivals, and I had a loving family that upheld the traditions of their South American roots. When I got to Duke, I thought things would be no different. After I attended my first Mi Gente (Duke’s Latino Student Association) meeting, however, I was completely turned off to the Hispanic community at Duke. I even remember someone telling me that “[I] looked too white to be Hispanic”, as if the complexion of my skin invalidated the experiences I had lived through as an active, and proud, Hispanic member of society. Now, I would like to point out that my experiences with the Hispanic community at Duke are simply that: my experiences. I’m glad that Hispanics at Duke have an association where they can feel comfortable and meet other like-minded individuals; it’s just not for me. In my opinion, the Hispanic community at Duke tries to hard to overcompensate for the fact that they are an underrepresented minority; while Hispanics make up ~17% of the U.S. population, they only make up ~7% of the Duke student body. My struggle with identity at Duke is the reason that I was initially nervous to come to Colombia with 7 Duke students. I knew that my family in Colombia would want to take us sightseeing, but I wasn’t prepared for how natural the interactions between my family and my newfound friends would be. I honestly thought I’d be acting like a mediator for the entire trip, making sure that everyone was having a good time and that there were no awkward lulls in conversation. Luckily for me, both my family and my DukeEngage compañeros are a lively group of people. I don’t think anyone at Duke has come close to seeing this side of me, but if I had to choose one group of people to share this experience with, it’d be them. From the bottom of my heart, thanks for being so awesome.
Albert
How to Try New Foods in Medellín

During my 3 weeks here in Medellín, I have tried some very interesting dishes that are unique to Colombian culture. 

Here are two steps to successfully trying new Colombian foods. 

1.) Keep an open mind.
           
This sounds a lot easier said than done since some of the traditional dishes have distinct and unfamiliar appearances, especially for those with sensitive palates or those who do not even enjoy trying new foods in the U.S.  To keep an open mind, I think about where I am.  It is a once in a lifetime experience to live in Medellín for two months with a host family, experiencing and living the culture. And as a result, I developed this when in Colombia mentality that allows me to overcome even the most unfavorable appearing foods.  Experiencing a culture means stepping outside of your comfort zone and this simple reminder motivates me to try EVERYTHING I can.  Anything that is put in front of me on a plate, I will try and so far I have enjoyed all of the new tastes.

2.) Do not ask what it is until after you have finished. 
           
This step is essential because sometimes knowledge of the dish’s origins will psych you out.  Growing up, I always heard, “You will never know if you like something unless you try it…” In Medellín, this could not be more accurate.  Of course, this step does not apply to vegetarians, vegans or those that heave, gag or regurgitate easily.

Recently, my most notable endeavors with new foods include Morcilla and Zopa de Mondongo. 

Upon arriving to Colombia, we ate our first meal in a restaurant on the way into Medellín.  No one would tell me what I was about to eat in the Típica Paisa.  I thought to myself: Típica for my first meal in Colombia? Why not? My first bite of Morcilla took me by surprise.  The meat proved to be delicious and it wasn’t until after I became content with the taste that I found out that it was a sausage-like casing stuffed with congealed pig’s blood, rice and spices. 

Just last week, while in Picacho for work, a house brought me a bowl of soup with unrecognizable contents.  I saw yucca, potatoes, carrots and a few other familiar vegetables, but there was this meat that looked almost like the tentacles of a squid.  When in Medellín, I thought to myself. The broth tasted like a delicious mix of garlic, and vegetables, similar to a chicken soup. And after licking my bowl clean, I asked what exactly the carne was. The woman divulged that the unknown ingredient was the cleaned stomach of a cow. The soup is now one of my favorites.

Que Rico.  When in Medellín. 

Disclaimer: Following these steps is under your own personal discretion.  Tensions will form in friendships if you refuse to tell them what they are eating, or if you lie to them.  Carrie, I apologize.  
Julie
How to untangle your headphones (and other knots)

I’m convinced that some higher being is trying to mess with us all. How is it possible that every time you put your headphones down unknotted, the next time you pick them up they’re all tangled?

While in Colombia, I’ve found myself trying to fit too much into a small space on too many occasions. And thus, I’ve found a fool-proof method for untangling…


Pre-steps:
1.     Make sure you’ve had a good night’s sleep.
a.     It’s hard to identify the problem area of your wires when your head is cloudy.
2.     Eat a good breakfast.
a.     You’ll want your energy for this exhausting mission.
3.     Get your head in the game.
a.     Make sure your goals and desired outcomes are clear. Sometimes a tangle can ignite frustrations that will just distract you from your ultimate goal.


Now you’re ready.

Step 1: Clear a space and put your tangled mess in front of you. Minimize distractions as to not get too overwhelmed.
Step 2: Unplug your cords from the device. There is no need to make your problem larger than it really is.
Step 3: Start from the bottom up. You might find yourself eager to set your ear buds free, but seeing the problem from a new angle is a great technique toward a solution.
Step 4: Don’t rely on just your hands. You can use other materials, or even a friend, for help—you are not alone!
Step 5: Loosen the knot slowly and carefully. It is important to take your time to minimize frustrations and to avoid causing other problems in the wake of working too quickly.
Step 6: Remain humble. This problem is bound to appear again, so don’t blame yourself when you see new knots after a few days. You know how to work through them, and you will. 
BITACORA por la madre de huésped de Julie
Julio 1 a Julio 8

Ya estamos muy adaptados y felices! Tanto Julie como nosotros, ha sido un proceso corto, estamos seguros de que ella se siente como en su casa y ha podido interiorizar también nuestras costumbres, nuestro vocabulario y nuestro ritmo de vida, nos encanta ver como invita a sus compañeros a esta “su casa” para adelantar algunos  de los trabajos que deben realizar cada día, o simplemente a tomar un café.

Hemos podido percibir un grupo maravilloso, alegre y divertido.  Julie se ha convertido en una persona muy importante para nosotros.


Katie

How I’ve Learned Hospitality


Mi casa es su casa.  Every time I enter a house in Colombia, this is how I feel.  From my host families home in an upper-middle class gated community to the most ramshackle house halfway up the mountain, I am welcomed, often literally, with open arms.  Before coming to Medellín I did not know what hospitality was.  Now I know that it is providing a gringa with a room in your home and including her in all your meals and family activities, as my host mom does.  It is offering a foreigner who is pestering you with hard questions and thrusting a camera in your face the only chair in the house, as many of the families I interview do.  It is recounting the most difficult time in your life in front of a stranger. It is offering food when you have none, conversation when you know the other person cannot fully understand, and acceptance despite worlds of difference.  It is warmth, generosity, and kindness that runs so deep I am often left speechless, and not just because of the language barrier, trying to comprehend how anyone could be so insanely nice.  Mi casa es su casa.  Yo entiendo.  Finally.

Dani
How to Go from Elle to Dani (D-a-n-í) in Colombia

1) Insist that everyone call you the Spanish equivalent of some masculine form of your name for the first 3 days: Danielle sounds like “Daniel” in Spanish, Elle sounds like “él” (he) and then finally make life easier and say Daniela or Dani (sounds like Daní)…
2) Get so incredibly lost in a 2-3 block radius on your first full day in Carlos E. that you acquire the reputation of “misguided directional sense” and never live it down
3) Eat an arepa with huevos and a banana every.single.morning with incredibly strong café con leche
4) Overuse the phrases “que chévere,” “muchísimas gracias,” “buenas,” y “lindísima”
5) Become a “supplier of the laughs,” but remain perpetually confused as to what exactly people are actually laughing at
6) Set clock back 10 minutes, because Colombian time isn’t as much of a thing as it seems and people are actually on time to everything contrary to popular belief (work in progress)
7) Always order a pinkish jugo de fruta (fresa o mora) en agua
8) Never put sugar in any juices or coffee, siempre amargo (bitter)
9) Live for the first 2 weeks without monetary funds and write IOU’s for half the group
10) Mention how annoyed you are after every catcall and painstakingly long stare when walking in a big group
11) Weigh the pros and cons of wearing jeans vs. a skirt (it’s hot, but a skirt gets more ‘up and down’ stares walking around the city)
12) Spend time talking with new and interesting people in the field (Picacho), in Carlos E., and elsewhere
13) Sit at the kitchen table and have a 2.5 hour discussion on Colombian and Latin American culture with the Bolivian professor from Universidad Nacional that lives in your apartment
14) Be a “failed nature girl” wearing nice jeans and a blouse for a “45 minute hike at the finca” then proceed to crawl under barb wire fences, fall face first into creeks, and go “swimming” aka pure embarrassment on multiple levels
15) Have a couple panic attacks as you slip on moss covered rocks into the creek face first and trip all over your feet en route back to the finca in pitch dark, guided by the light of one cell phone all the while reminding yourself that being flexible implies spontaneity- Hazlo!
16) Make weird faces in pictures and let everyone get a good, nice laugh (see the picture below that started it all)
17) Arrive an hour early to places (i.e. plaza, metro) so you can sit and read or write
……….
But even in the midst of all the energy and contentment I feel in Medellín, I cannot help but feel different from the person that I was before June 19th. My thoughts are as loud and convoluted as the commotion twelve stories below me, a far cry from the whispers of suburbia that lull me to sleep and quiet my mind. Here I, Dani, find myself speechless. I need time to process all these emotional experiences, the difficult conversations with the entrevistado/as, the poverty, the sadness, and all the things that the “old” me had never imagined. But I can’t find the silence. How to be Dani in Medellín? I’m trying, I’m learning, and sometimes I fail. Here, I’m pushing myself to learn how to trust others in the same open and honest way that I expect my entrevistado/as to place their trust in me. Here, my view of myself as a woman is challenged as well as the perceptions of a woman’s body and standards of beauty that I had become so accustomed to. My strong identity as a feminist finds itself confused, misplaced, and wondering where to turn next. I’m startled, fascinated, and disillusioned by this new world and these new cultural norms. I’m embracing discomfort and working through the language barriers and other lapses in understanding, but I cannot shake that “lost” feeling. Elle was the American flying to Colombia, but Dani is the extranjera “lost” in Medellín, seemingly out of place. And yet, I acknowledge that as a “gringa,” I am an observer, an open mind. I’m listening and trying to remain fully engaged and present in the moment. And I’m learning how to be vulnerable and scared, but also safe and loved while being surrounded by people who are my support network here and hopefully, for the long run.

How to be Dani in Medellín? To be continued…