Jun 27, 2011

Meet the 2011 Team



Qué pasa! My name is Jessica David. I'm a rising senior at Duke University. I am studying Psychology with minors in Visual Arts and Afro and African American Studies. With my heavy courseload and my position as a Women's Basketball manager, I never thought that I would have the time to travel abroad and take advantage of the amazing opportunities that Duke offers. Then I came across the program for DukeEngage in Colombia. The program scope immediately drew me in. The program offered the chance to travel, live in an indescribably, beautiful city, experience a new culture all while helping displaced families capture their personal stories and document them. Medellín has not let me down yet. I'm excited to get in the field and start listening. That's one of the greatest qualities that I can offer and I can't wait for this experience to really begin.


Hola! My name is Stephanie Amador, and I am a rising Junior at Duke University from Miami, FL. I am currently majoring in Sociology, minoring in international comparative studies, and obtaining a certificate in documentary studies. A little bit about me: I grew up in a Cuban household so I have a love for Latin music and the Hispanic culture. Needless to say, in the words of Celia Cruz, my Spanish needs to be “Better Looking.” Duke Engage in Colombia is a program that I am deeply looking forward to! I believe that Colombia does have a negative image in the United States, but most things do not appear as they seem. I hope to uncover the complexity of the images of Colombia in order to mitigate the wrong Colombian stereotypes given by those around the world. Even my parents were hesitant about Colombia when they first heard the news of my acceptance. “¿Pero chica de todos los lugares porque Colombia?” I would nod my head, and try to explain, but I could tell that they too held the same perceptions as the majority of the United States, something I hoped I could help change. Although I am nervous about being in a foreign country with a host family, whom I do not know, I am excited to learn about another culture and change the perceptions that people have of Colombia and of the Colombian people.

Hi! My name is Gabriela Arredondo-Santisteban, and I’m a rising Junior at Duke University majoring in Psychology and minoring in Spanish. I was born and raised in Durham, North Carolina, and I have never lived anywhere else. My background is Latino, with my mom being from Costa Rica and my dad being from Mexico. I love trying new foods, traveling, and meeting new people, all parts of the reason why I chose DukeEngage Medellín. Although my family was initially a little skeptical about my decision to go to Medellín, so far the experience has been nothing short of amazing. I have always heard that the nicest people from Colombia are from Medellín and I haven’t met anyone yet who disproves that. Everyone here is warm and welcoming, always offering us a tinto wherever we go. I wanted to come to Medellín to meet its people and experience the culture, but also because the program felt close to home as a Latina. With my parents being from Latin American countries, I have been to many cities that are not always the tourist hotspots or the safest places. Not once have I been nervous going with my family to these new locations, but I felt a little bit uneasy when I first decided to go to Medellín, and I want to change that feeling back. I want to show my friends and family at home what the real Medellín is like, and in the process, learn about Colombia and myself during my stay here.


Hi! My name is Lydia Rose Rappoport-Hankins, but I go by LydiaRose or LR for short. I live with my parents, Cliff and Leslie, and my pug Iris. My lovely super-smart older sister Clarissa lives in Washington, DC with her soon-to-be husband Will. I am from Iowa City, Iowa but I was born in Durham and now study there at Duke University, where I am a rising junior majoring in psychology and English with a minor in cultural anthropology. My hobbies are dancing, drawing, reading, and writing. I know absolutely zero about the logistics of filmmaking, and my Spanish is quite the work in progress, but I couldn’t resist the DukeEngage in Medellín program. Capturing stories meshes perfectly with my interests; as the daughter of an English professor, I suppose I’ve always found stories important. Combine that with the psychological importance of expressing oneself and I felt like this program was perfectly suited for my interests and my potential for contributing to the people of Medellín. And, of course, there is the unbelievable bonus of spending time in the beautiful city of eternal spring with quite possibly the kindest, most open people I have ever met. It is true what they say about this city—the only danger is that you will never want to leave.


Hola! My name is Gideon Rosenthal and I am from Charleston, South
Carolina. I am 21 years old and a Political Science major and Computer
Science minor at Duke. In the next couple of months I hope to
experience everything Medellin has to offer, from the nicer areas such
as the Poblado to the neighborhoods we will be working in. I hope to
see a side of Medellin that is not portrayed in the international
media and return to the states with a deeper understanding of both the
social problems and the amazing culture that exists in this city.





Hi! My name is Amrita Dixit and I’m a rising junior, majoring in Neuroscience with a certificate in Information Science & Information Studies. I am 19 years old, and I have never left the United States without my parents or older sister. However, I have traveled to places like India, Peru, Mexico, Italy, Hawaii, Alaska, Montana, Texas, and more – and I’m always intrigued by the new cultures I come in contact with. I love my hometown in California, mint chocolate chip ice cream, soccer, and spending time with my family/friends. I applied to the DukeEngage in Medellín program because I wanted to hear and help document the various stories that Colombians in Medellín have to share. The program’s use of media and technology caught my attention, because it is such a creative way to combat the stereotype of Medellín as only a place of violence and drugs. I’m also excited that the program will give me a taste of the beautiful, caring, and fun sides of Latin American culture. I’m so thrilled to join the other Duke students in getting to know our “nuevo hogar” (new home)!


Hola! My name is Natalie Robles and I’m 18 years old. I spent half of my life in Santa Rosa, California, but have since been living in Goldsboro, North Carolina for the other half of my life. I just finished my freshman year at Duke University, majoring in Music. I’ve been playing the clarinet for almost nine years now; I went to a really intense arts school for the last two years of high school and learned a lot, but I really love Duke a lot more. If I hadn’t gone, I might have not had the opportunity to come here! I love all types of music, especially indie/alternative rock. My favorite band’s name is Circa Survive. I love hiking a lot; I’m part of a group called P-Wild at Duke and have hiked years beforehand as well. I love sushi and goofing around with my little brother, Benson, who’s fifteen. I like swimming and playing water polo. I’m also a big movie buff, so if you have a question about an actor or some movie, just ask me. I wanted to be a part of this program because I am half-Colombian. My father is from Barranquilla, and my mom is from the United States. My parents got divorced when I was four and I recently became estranged from my father. The issues that happened during the divorce caused a lot of misunderstanding between me and my dad’s side of the family, so I decided to do this DukeEngage program in order to connect with my other home country in a different way. Already a week in, and I’ve created relationships with this country and its people that will last a lifetime. Hope you enjoy hearing about our trip here!


Hello Friends! My name is Kendall Murphy; I will be 20 years old in August; I am a rising junior at Duke University; and I am from Darien, Connecticut. I come from a large Irish family and I love my family more than anything else in this world. They have made me who I am today- outgoing, fun-loving, ready for anything, and excited for everything! I am currently studying Sociology, History, and Markets and Management Studies (Business), and while I have not yet decided upon a career path, I am confident that as long as I am working with people who can make me laugh and in an environment that is stimulating and engaging (and open to a sense of humor) I will be happy. At school I try to take advantage of all Duke has to offer: great professors, club sports and a gorgeous campus to run outside on, a thriving social life, and countless opportunities to experience something new. My two favorite life mottos are: “you are only young once” and “apathy gets you nowhere”, so with my combination of curiosity and assertive action I jumped at the chance to apply to DukeEngage. After reading about each program, Colombia was where my heart was set. While taking a Documentary Studies course at Duke, I loved how by putting the time in and conveying my genuine interest in a particular population, I was welcomed into a world I otherwise would not have known anything about. Thus I felt the Medellín program was perfect, for it combined documentary technology and the Spanish language with a mission to serve a community eager for a voice. In my 8 weeks here I want to listen to the Colombian people- the poor residents of the mountain sides as well as the university students around the corner- and learn every detail of Colombian culture- from what they value as important to life to how their social norms differ from mine, and I want to share what I learn with the world.
I enjoy challenging myself and doing things that scare me, for I feel I grow as a person with each attempt at something unfamiliar. But because I am known for being a little naive and overzealous, my parents feared that I would be in danger in Colombia because of the media’s hype over its past violence and drug cartels. Luckily however, their policy once we leave the house for college is that we have to make our own decisions and live with the consequences of those decisions, so my announcement of my summer plans was not so much a question for permission, as it was a declaration of a decision. And now that I have met the warm, friendly people, seen the art covering this beautiful city’s walls, tasted the tropical fruit, and danced to a salsa beat, I can say with absolute certainty that coming to Medellín was the best decision I’ve ever made and I hope the consequences never fade.