Apr 25, 2012

Q3 Did you see Duke the same when you returned? Why/why not?

Gabriela Arredondo-Santisteban

It was hard coming back to Duke after experiencing DukeEngage and studying abroad.  I felt I had so many experiences to share and no one to actually listen. At times I felt like I had matured so much while my friends had all stayed the same. They don’t understand the connections I had with the people of Medellín and it is difficult to convey how much I miss the city. I wanted to use what I learned from my trip to do something more meaningful at Duke. I changed my schedule in order to sign up for a service learning course, and it has been my favorite class at Duke so far. I learned from the amazing friendships we had with the compañeros to be more open and welcoming to new people. Duke seemed like a bubble that had gone through few changes while I had grown so much. My friends showed some interest in my videos, but show no more curiosity beyond that. I felt like people still saw me as who I was before DukeEngage when I wanted to show them who I had become. Slowly, I have reintegrated myself back at Duke but I don’t want to forget Medellín. I want people to keep asking me about my DukeEngage experience, I want to share my videos and the blog. I have a lot of pictures up in my apartment of the compañeros and Medellín that I look at every day. While they serve as decorations, they also help me remember my time in Colombia. I am scared of forgetting the families I met and the experiences I had. It feels so easy to fall back into my previous routine, go back to the old me and I don’t want to do that. 


Cassidy Fleck

 When I returned to Duke I did see things differently. I became more aware of the socioeconomic disparity between students, faculty and Durham residents. I was angry and still am about the way students treat wealth and their positions of privilege within Duke and within the community. I am currently writing an article about how one of my close friend’s atypical journey to Duke, one from poverty and drug-addicted parents, has informed her undergraduate career. 

Jessica David


·         I think I was in a very interesting position when I returned from Medellín. Not being able to complete the project, I often felt that I had let the team down. I was fortunate enough that during my time in Colombia, I had the opportunity to capture a story that was used in the final production but once I turned everything over to my fellow DukeEngagers, I felt very disconnected from the entire project. When I returned home, I was faced with some very intense emotions—sadness and grief from the loss of my brother, anger that I could not finish a commitment that I started, and frustration that two aspects of my life had come to an end and I was left to deal with the repercussions. I was also faced with the question regarding the difference I had made during my time in Colombia. What impact had I really made with those displaced families, in Medellín, and in the world? A question that I didn’t give as much consideration involved the impact my experience had had on me. In all, I would say that I saw Duke differently because of the latter of the two. I wasn’t really sure how to apply my experience to my last year in undergrad but I was definitely more aware—more alert, appreciative, observant. I knew that some of the very students I sat in class with had remarkable stories just like the ones of the amazing individuals I met in Medellín. If nothing else, I was also very grateful for the time I had shared with so many people in such a short span. As I stated before, participating in this experience changed my outlook on the world. Although I wasn’t sure how I would apply my experience to my remaining semesters at Duke, I would counter that by saying that I’ve been able to apply it to my daily life as a student just by the way I interact with others. This experience provided me with a much more tolerant/acceptant outlook. When I engage with others, I never know how our interactions will impact one another. Our paths may have crossed because they have something meaningful to offer me or I may have something meaningful that will help them. Regardless, I now feel a sense of purpose for many of the occurrences in life. I have learned to appreciate the present for what it is and has to offer. 

Gideon Rosenthal

The biggest thing I noticed upon my return was the lack of diversity I was surrounded by at Duke, and for the most part my entire life. I went to a Jewish day school until 8th grade and a high school with only 80 kids in my graduating class. At Duke, my social circle is largely comprised of students who are very similar to me. One of the biggest things I was therefore able to take away from DE Medellin was to spend time with people who I otherwise would not have.

The other thing that I noticed was how trivial some of our “crises” are at Duke. What people give importance to, get anxious over and even lose sleep because of do not seem as important as the issues faced by the communities in Medellin. Everything is relative, so our “problems” are not insignificant but it is important to put them into perspective. 

Natalie Robles


The Duke I saw when I first came back from Colombia and the Duke I saw when I came back from New York were very different. I visited my friends for several hours sometime before I was about to head up to spend the semester in New York. I had just come back from Medellín and had spent a few days at home. There was an opportunity for me to go up to Duke to visit friends and so I called up about four or five friends to let them know I was coming. I was on a high when I saw everyone, especially since these were my closest of friends; I thought there was a chance I could finally let go and talk about how confused and excited going to Medellín had made me feel. Some friends made me feel different than others; I’d felt like I needed to act casual about going to Colombia, in some cases. In others, I could let myself go and freak out, saying, “OH MY GOD, THOSE WERE THE BEST TWO MONTHS OF MY LIFE!” But the actual prospect of coming onto campus was even more surreal than seeing my friends. My mom dropped me off in front of the Chapel, and I was taken aback by Duke’s beauty. It was so gray, stoic, and grandiose, but it was home. I ran into my friends’ arms, jumping up in down in excitement, overjoyed and ecstatic. We talked and I told them about some of my crazy adventures. But I was even more interested in hearing what they had to say about their summers and their lives. What had been going on while I was gone? I had hoped things didn’t change much. I felt selfish in that I thought I was the only one who could have a life-changing experience, but no one else could. All my friends were required to stay the same and have not done anything over the summer. But of course they did, and they seemed very relaxed and happy. I, on the other hand, felt like I was going to jump out of my skin, trying to hold back all of my emotions. I had missed them so much; they were Duke for me. They were a vital part of my life now, and without seeing them for two months, I’d felt incomplete. And in just a couple days, I’d be heading up to New York to be away from them for four more months. I wanted them to know that I still cared for them so much, and that without most of them, I felt lost. So I wanted to soak in these last moments with them as much as I could. It was a sad, but revitalizing day.
            The Duke I came back to four months later was one that I was not used to, but also able to flow back into. I was in a new dorm, in a single, and I made a huge effort to see my friends all of the time. We weren’t on the same hall, or right next door to one another, like we had been the previous year, but I was grateful to be back. My friends had changed, but for the better, and most of my closest friends and I still had an extremely strong connection to one another. Everything is back to normal, and I am happy; happy to be home.